Friday, June 05, 2009

Too Much Information


Adult Content Warning: If you are offended by graphic sexual discussions, I suggest that you skip this entry.

A frequent escape of ours is La Cañada de la Virgen, or rather, Alex’s cabin at the ranch; Casa Esquela.

Alex has created a space completely off the grid. Water is collected from a spring, purified and then heated by a solar hot water heater. The lights are also solar powered. There is a fully functioning bathroom.

It is kind of like upscale camping. We pack in food for the weekend, cook together, horseback ride and spend long evenings solving the world’s problems around a campfire. Toby’s visit was the perfect opportunity to share our get-away, so off we went; Rodrigo, Christine, Alex, Toby and me.

We were having lunch on the patio on the day of our departure. Laid out on the table was a spread of sandwich bread, lunch meat and vegetables. Toby, a strapping young German (straight man), was still eating well after the rest of us had finished.

Alex was reviewing our tasks to close up the house.

“Should we make up our beds?” Christine asked.

“No,” Alex said, “Strip them. I’m taking all the sheets to be washed.”

“Great,” I replied, “And I already made our bed.”

“Well, the sheets on that bed haven’t been used much. They could probably stay. Unless . . .” Alex hesitated.

“They’re fine Alex. We didn’t soil them.” I said.

“We’re very clean.” Rod chimed in.

“Yes,” I said, “I swallow.”

“You swallow?” Christine asked.

“Occasionally.” I said.

“You mean sometimes you do and sometimes you don’t?” Christine pressed on.

“THAT’S WHAT OCCASIONALLY MEANS!” Toby exclaimed, dropping his sandwich on his plate. “ISN’T IT?”

“A little more information than you needed Toby?” I asked.

“Certainly while I’m eating!”

I picked up a jar from the table. “Would you like a little more mayonnaise on your sandwich?”

(By this time Alex was laughing so hard he almost fell from his chair. I’m not sure that Toby will ever be quite the same.)

That is just sunscreen on Toby's nose. I swear!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I won't pass this on to mom, but I'm still grinning!