Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Rodrigo’s Rose Garden


Finding things that will grow in this climate has been a challenge. Cactus, no problem, but otherwise, a bit of work.

Roses work well. Amazingly well although finding them is a chore; at least any kind of variety.

Rod wanted a rose garden. This really translates to, “I’ll plant them but you need to take care of them.” At the annual plant fair (Candalaria) we bought our first new rose plants. After picking out the appropriate spot, close to water and the right amount of sun, Rod set to planting. He had all the right tools but was having a problem breaking ground.

I have more than a few pounds on Rod so when I saw that he was struggling I decided to put my weight behind the pick on his behalf. First stroke, no problem. Second stroke and water began bubbling up from the ground. As much as I wanted to believe that we’d hit a natural spring only six inches below the surface, I knew better. I’d hit the water main. In fact, I’d hit the pipe dead center. I couldn’t have hit it better if I was aiming.

This, of course, happened on a Sunday during a three-day weekend. Try to find a plumber. So we shut off the water to the back of the property and continued working.

Caspa, our Labrador mix puppy, decided to eat the blossoms but since the first day, she seems to have lost interest.

So this is it. I know it is small but they are doing very well and if we continue to add more every year, we might have something in the future.


Our plumbers are here now, fixing the kitchen sink which involves tearing up the back patio and half the lawn. They hit the water main today so I don’t feel so bad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't home owning fun?

LDahl said...

the adventure continues.... :)

Anonymous said...

Hi--Just want to let you know that I'm enjoying your blog, and am glad to know a little about what's happening with you. Best wishes for the roses and life in general!