Friday, June 18, 2010

Soccer Meets the Happy Chicken


This is going to take a little explaining.

Pollo Feliz (Happy Chicken) is a rotisserie chicken restaurant chain. (Very popular, for reasons that escape me, in this part of Mexico.) Part of their advertising is to dress up a kid in a bright yellow chicken costume, outside the restaurant, to coax people in. One will frequently see this poor soul standing in the sweltering heat in the middle of the glorieta (roundabout) near the restaurant, waving his chicken-like wings. (A friend’s mother used to threaten her children when they misbehaved, that if they didn’t straighten up, she was going to enlist them as Pollo Feliz chickens.)

Yesterday, Mexico beat France 2 – 0 in the World Cup.

So, yesterday, as I’m driving down the hill to Mega (our big supermarket), I see a large group of green-soccer-shirt-wearing guys gathered in the middle of the glorieta. Intermittently, soaring above their heads, was the Happy Chicken kid. It was not clear whether the chicken kid was a willing participant or if they had just grabbed him and started throwing him in the air. Either way, it had to be a more exciting day than usual, for soccer fans, and the chicken kid. And this chicken finally got to fly.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Charles, your blog is absolutely fascinating! I thoroughly enjoy it. I seem to recall your telling another reader what your email is, but I can't find it. I'm wondering if you might pass your email along to me as I would like to contact you privately. Thanks!

Charles Thomas said...

Hola Daniel. I hesitate to put my personal email here (avoiding spam, etc.). But if you'd like to send me a comment with your email address, I won't post the comment but will contact you off-site.