Friday, February 25, 2011

For English, press "8" . . .

When I moved here, I jumped on the bandwagon of gringos living in Mexico and subscribed for (bootleg) Dish TV from the U.S. Tons of channels, nearly all in English. (Dish Network thought I lived in Texas.)

Rod got hooked too. We watched old seasons of Will and Grace, Friends, Scrubs; all those shows that I missed while I was going through my ex-pat transition phase.

Then, one day, it crapped out. We already had a six-foot satellite dish hanging on the side of our house. I was told that Dish Network had put up a new satellite with a smaller footprint and I’d need to upgrade to an eight-foot dish (for about $800 USD) or switch to Canadian television.

“Screw that,” I thought. Enough bootlegging American comforts. We live in Mexico and we’re going to have Mexican TV. So we switched to Mexican Sky TV for about $150 USD installation fee (with a two year contract and a tiny dish). We even went for the Hi-def service, only to find that so few channels are broadcast in Hi-def that it wasn’t worth the extra few pesos. But we are able to record programs (and fast-forward through the commercials) with the fancy box with the blue lights so I guess that’s sort of worth it.

I have to read the guide in Spanish. If the show is broadcast in any language other than Spanish, the guide says that it is English. (Try Japanese, French or Italian with Spanish subtitles; tough.) But it is enough for me. There are sufficient shows are in English and I’m not a big TV watcher. (But I think Rod misses his US television options.)

When I signed up with Sky, my Capital One credit card had expired. So I used my BofA credit card. Later I discovered that BofA charges and international transaction fee of about $5. That annoyed me. So I vowed to call Sky Mexico and change my credit card to Capital One.

I was daunted. Speaking Spanish is one thing; speaking it on the phone is another. For months I put it off. I’d move the task from one week on my calendar to another; each time rehearsing the speech in my head; “Necesito cambiar mi tarjeta de credito . . .” Ugh! It is only $5 a month, I’ll do it later.

I thought about asking Rod to make the call. But he usually tells me, “You can do it. Go ahead. You need the practice.” He’s tends to be right, as annoying as that is.

So, after months of procrastination, this week I decided to give it a try. I figured that, if all else fails I can hang up and no harm no foul. I rehearsed in my head. I dialed the number.

“Bienvenido a Sky. For English press “8.”

Well that was easy. I wish that worked with government offices and police officers. Maybe it does. I just haven’t noticed the button.

1 comment:

William Bezek said...

We got so fed up with the available garbage, we cut off TV entirely 2 years ago. I've seen so many great independent and foreign films on DVD and the local art house theater that I would never have known. Just a thought.