Friday, July 28, 2006

Noise


Noise. I can’t wait to move to the country. How can an entire culture be deaf to the sound of barking dogs? Last year it was the rottweiler that was dropped off two doors away every night, to guard a vacant lot. Now there is some white mutt directly next door, that has the run of the rooftop. Twice a day there is a chorus of dogs barking, the first at about 7:00 AM and then again in the evening. If that were not enough, crickets. Yes, those lovely little creatures that one hears at night. But when you’re trying to watch a movie, and you get the distinct feeling that the crickets are no longer outside because they are drowning out the dialog from Gladiator, something has to be done. I found two on the fireplace and promptly slaughtered them with my latest issue of Atencion (a better use than reading it). But that didn’t stop the din. After careful research that included wandering through the house, stepping gingerly, I discerned that the sound was coming from the baseboard in the dinning room. They’re in the frigg’n walls! Or so it sounded. One cricket, I thought, on the other side. Detecting a small gap I approached with my can of Raid. I sprayed a healthy dose into the gap and along the top of the baseboard. Within seconds an entire family of crickets hopped out of the crack and began limping around the dinning room. Flamenco lessons might have helped with their destruction. Ahhhh, quiet now. But for the dogs. It might take more than a can of Raid.

The other night I was sharing a rather delightful bottle of wine with my cousin Alan (a wine snob who brought the bottle from his collection), Alex and Andrea on the rooftop at Alex’s house. We were watching the sunset before going to the new middle-eastern restaurant in town, when Alex’s mother ascended the stairs. We had a lovely visit with her and later, as I kissed her goodnight she called me “Charlitos”. I am so in the family now.

Alan’s visit was great but experienced by me in small doses. Although he was staying at my house, I hardly saw him. 91 people from the states and Canada came for the wedding that he was attending, not to mention the locals that knew the groom’s mother before she passed. The bride’s family also lives here. Every day he had another event. From mountain biking in Pozos to nearly naked photography (wrapped in bright colored fabric) at the hot springs. The bachelor party included “re-birthing”, whatever the hell that is. (Where are the strippers?) But I did meet part of the crowd and a closer, more loving group would be hard to find. It reminded me of my friends with whom I travel with to Puerto Vallarta every year; but multiplied by 10. Alan will be back though, even if I have to fly to Portland, OR, and bring him down kicking and screaming. Between my house and his friends “phat” mansion in town, he has no excuses. After all, he is one of the people who encouraged me to come here in the first place.

Last night there was a free showing of Celsius/488.33 (i.e., Fahrenheit 9/11) at the Angela Peralta Theater. There was also a documentary on the difference on the war coverage between U.S. media and other countries. The house was packed. After the applause died down, there was a strange silence among the crowd. Whether it was from shame, embarrassment, horror, or disbelief, it was not from pride. How can we, as a country, have allowed this to happen? I’m voting absentee but I AM voting.

Our tenants in Mexico are returning from their home construction in La Manzanilla, this weekend. So next week I’ll go out to the property with a builder, take measurements and hopefully do a very thorough walkthrough. I hope to get an estimate and be ready to begin work as soon as the tenants move out. The casita on the roof of my rental house is getting a fair amount of interest from the owner’s contacts in Boston so my ability to use it as a crash pad for family and friends may be impaired. Thus, getting the new house ready for guests becomes more urgent. Not to mention that the new house needs to be furnished. I found a great store that makes wrought iron furniture at great prices (impressive queen size beds with canopies for less than $500 USD). Of course this is before mattress, box spring, bedding, etc. They also do chandeliers, patio furniture, the works. Until then, there is plenty of room to pitch tents in the yard for the more adventurous types. October 1 we take possession. The countdown begins.

No comments: