Monday, March 12, 2007

White Guy

One of the cultural differences that I have come to experience here is the reference to or about someone by their physical appearance. For example, frequently someone will call out to me, “Oye! Guerro!” or “Hey there! Blond guy! (Or “White Guy!”) Never in the states would I think about referencing someone’s skin color. But here it is not reserved for gringos but can be used with light skinned Mexicans as well.

There is a designer in town named “Negro” or “Black”. I can’t even bring myself to call him by his name. I just say “Hola” and omit his name altogether.

Another is “Gordo” or “Gorda”. That seems like “Fatty” or “Fatso”. Never would I refer to someone by their weight. However, here it is a term of endearment. Husbands and wives will use it like we’d use “Honey” or “Sweetheart” or when talking to their children.

“Pelon” or “Bald guy” is another. If one didn’t understand the cultural difference, one could easily be offended.

“Joven” or “Young man” is what one calls a waiter in a restaurant, regardless of his age. I was flattered when a woman behind the deli counter called me “Joven.” That was until I saw a 60-something year old man climb into a taxi and call the 60-something year old cab driver “Joven.”

And if you’re an attractive woman, you’re going to get cat calls and whistles. You can be offended if you want, but I believe my 27-year-old friend Christine has the right attitude for living in Mexico. “I’m offended if they don’t harass me.” I’ve also seen packs of high school girls give it back to an attractive man. What’s fair is fair. One of my favorite cat calls is “Tu con todas las curvas y yo sin frenos” or “You with all those curves and me with no brakes.”

And have I mentioned the abundance of “No Tell Motels”? Since Mexicans tend to live with their families until marriage, couples don’t have much opportunity for sexual encounters. (And there is always the infidelity thing which seems pretty prevalent here.) This has lead to a string of affordable motels where one can pull one’s car into a private garage where it can’t be seen. While I’ve never used one, the old tenants of my house swore by them for their cross-country trips. They said that they were cheap, clean and a great place to stay if you don’t mind a mirror above the bed and a glass shower in the center of your room. You also don’t have to worry about your car getting broken into.

In the nearby city of Leon, there is a section of the highway that is referred to as the “Bermuda Triangle”. This is because at night traffic can be very heavy at the beginning of the highway but by the end there are very few cars on the road. They disappear at the various off-ramps leading to the motels.

No comments: