Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The Bell’s Palsy Treatment Labyrinth

I have it again. Bell’s Palsy. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bells-palsy/DS00168)

I’ve had it twice before; once when I was 19, again at 29 and now at 49. (Somehow I dodged 39.)

I felt the all-to-familiar dull ache at the back of my neck and above my ear. But I thought, “It’s not that bad. I don’t want to take antibiotics so I’ll eat some raw garlic and maybe it will go away.”

Failure to trust my instincts could well have cost me facial deformity anywhere from six months to forever.

While I was on heavy-duty antibiotics, I wasn’t allowed to consume alcohol. So I couldn’t even drown my sorrows for a night. Plus, I’m supposed to stay out of the sun and wind. This really sucks because if I’m going to be sequestered away at home, I’d at least like to get some work done in the yard.

I’m seeing three doctors, two of whom are good friends. One is an M.D. or general practitioner, the other a naturopath and an acupuncturist. The third, the new one, specializes in rehabilitation and uses electrotherapy treatments.

The electrotherapy is probably my favorite (when the frigg’n nurse doesn’t turn up the power too high sending lightening bolts out of my teeth). At least I get an hour’s nap while my face is pulsing with a mild current.

My insurance doesn’t cover this. I’m on a catastrophic policy. It is international but has a list of preferred providers. The closest hospital on their list is 45 minutes away in Queretaro. And there is a $3,000 USD deductible.

I have no desire to drive to Queretaro every day and at an average treatment cost of about 300 pesos, it will be a long time before I reach the deductable.

I miss my $20 co-pay.

I’m off the antibiotics now. (That first glass of wine was about the best I’ve ever tasted.) And truth be told, I’m seeing some improvement. I can blink again and there is some movement in my right eyebrow and right side of my mouth. So something is working because this is a faster recovery than I experienced before.

3 comments:

William Bezek said...

I am sorry to read this. I am sending thoughts of perfect health your way.

Kym said...

You sound so calm. I would have been so scared. If good thoughts help, you have mine!

Unknown said...

I remember when you had it at 19...