Friday, July 18, 2008

Chilango Prices

First a little background. A “chilango” is what Mexicans call a person from Mexico City. Originally it held a rather derogatory implication relating to behavior (i.e., how a person drives, the way they treat wait staff or how they generally behave in public like they are better than other people). Now it is a matter of context. As I refer to myself as a “gringo” another may refer to himself as a “chilango”, and the expression can be playful between friends. However, “F’n gringo!” or “F’n chilango!” take the expression back to its roots.

Second, many books will tell you that there are two prices in Mexico; the Mexican price and the gringo price (the gringo price, of course, always being the higher of the two). This doesn’t apply to restaurants or department stores where prices are labeled, but can apply to services rendered or in a Mercado (Market). Instructions to gringos in these same books, say to buck-up and pay the higher price. After all, it is not that much higher and they need it.

The other day I parked at my favorite downtown parking lot. I’m a regular at this lot, probably at least once or twice a week. After running my errands I was waiting to pay with a 10 peso coin in my hand. As I was waiting a chilango gentleman (we can spot them immediately from their license plates) approached the attendant for his ticket. When the attendant handed him the ticket, the chilango asked the price per hour. The attendant pointed out the rate on the ticket at 15 pesos per hour. (I was surprised. I’ve never paid more than 10 pesos an hour.) The chilango nodded and walked toward the exit. The attendant kept me waiting as he watched the chilango walk away and then he silently nodded to the coin in my hand. I was charged LESS than a Mexican!

We’re not talking a lot of money here, but I was elated. Clearly, to some, loyalty overrides race or locals get preference over tourists. Whatever the case, little gestures like this make San Miguel feel more and more like home.

No comments: