Sunday, July 20, 2008

Return to San Luis Potosi

This weekend we decided to get away for a night and visit our friend Victor in San Luis Potosi.

According to Victor, people in San Luis are all about the food. Given such, there are numerous restaurants with varying cuisines. So for you visitors, when you're tired of Mexican food, I cannot recommend highly enough the Oriental Grill. The menu is a delightful combination of Thai, Japanese and Chinese dishes.

After our sumptuous dinner we went to a bar called "Sheik" (which the Mexicans pronounce "Shake"). I went to the bar to get drinks for Rod and I. While there a boy who looked about 18 years old kept making eye contact with me. I simply nodded and took our drinks upstairs. A few minutes later Rod excused himself to go to the restroom. Immediately the young man approached me and struck up a conversation. When Rod returned Victor told him that he’d better keep an eye on his man because he’s the only gringo in the bar and the boys are circling. “It’s ok, “Rod said, “It’s good for his self esteem.” (Bless him.)

After Sheik we went to my favorite bar in San Luis, El Greko. The photos below will probably explain why it is my favorite.


Hugo, Victor and Rod (after a few cocktails).

Me (after a cocktail or two) with a few of our waiters.

1 comment:

Ken O said...

Hello there

My name is Ken. I am now in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. I saw the name of Gay Bar, Sheik in the same city. How am I able to visit this particular gay bar then? Please email me at hakki808@hotmail.com, if you don't mind at all.

Thanks