Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Another Small World Story

I was doing a little Christmas shopping at our local natural health store, called Moonrise Health (http://www.moonrise-health.com/home.html). The new owner, an attractive young woman, approached me to offer assistance. We got to chatting and she asked where I was from.

“Most recently from the San Francisco bay area,” I said, “But I grew up in Northern California.”

“Where in Northern California?” she asked.

“Well, the first 13 or so years were in a little town that you’ve probably never heard of; Garberville.”

“Give me a hug!”

(Garberville has a population of about 1,500. What are the odds?)

Her name is Shanti and she graduated from my old high school in Miranda (my high school before we moved to Eureka) and went on to college at Humboldt State University in Arcata.

The store got busy so we didn’t have time to share further. But I’m at her store every once in a while so we’ll have to see if we know anyone in common. I kind of doubt it given the generational difference. But still, it felt good to run into another Humboldter here in the middle of Mexico.

1 comment:

Kym said...

Amazing! But I've had it happen so often that I've ceased to be flabbergasted. I wonder if I know her. I don't recognize the name though.