Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Houses & Dogs


December 10, 2005

Today is my birthday. I woke up trying to remember how old I am. Is it 46 or is it 47? I hope it is 46 because 47 feels too much like downhill to 50. Yes, it is 46. I’ll wait until next year to be depressed.

This morning I was served breakfast in bed. I can’t remember the last time I received breakfast in bed. I’m not sure, aside from a hospital stay when my appendix was removed, if I was ever served breakfast in bed.

The gap in correspondence is because I returned to the states and sold the Oakland house. I was afraid that I’d missed the feeding frenzy of home sales that happened over the summer but I didn’t. The house was on the market for two weeks and I received four offers, all over my asking price.

The most attractive offer, the one I accepted, included a two week close of escrow. So I spent two weeks living off TV dinners and packing over 17 years of living. I couldn’t have done it without the help of Clare, Dean and Rudy. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

During the process I would think, “Should I drag this to Mexico or not? What the heck, it is a 24 foot truck and I won’t come close to filling it so I’ll just take it and I can always give it away down there.” I expected movers with wrapping blankets, a hand truck, etc. What I got was a 15 foot truck, no wrapping blankets and only one guy.

Nearly everything fit but I have no idea in what condition it will arrive. Or for that matter when. It was supposed to take 10 days. It has been three weeks and as of yesterday, my stuff was still at the border in Tijuana. “There is nothing wrong with your shipment,” the moving company told me, “But in the other shipment we are combining it with they found, umm contraband. Is that a word? Contraband?”
“Yes, and not a very good word.”
“Well we expect to have it resolved soon.”

The reality is, I’ve lived three years without all these things so it wouldn’t be the end of the world if it never arrived. But it would suck to spend $6,000 USD for nothing. And I really want my Christmas decorations soon.

But my mood is so good that I’m not letting this bother me. I didn’t realize how keeping one foot in each country was wearing on me. The travel back and forth and always feeling like every trip back to the states was work. Finding new renters, conducting repairs on the house, figuring out what to do with my car (which I ended up giving to my niece), details, details. Letting go of the house was liberating.

Someone asked me if I felt nostalgic, a sense of loss, selling my first home. A home into which I’d poured so much sweat equity. I really think that the moving process is designed to ensure that this doesn’t happen. By the time I was finished I couldn’t wait to get out.

And for that matter, it is in my nature to constantly improve a property. And truth be told, I was done with that house. The future only meant re-doing things that had already been done. Maintenance, upkeep, not fun. Remodel, renovation, creating, fun. And I’ve plenty to do on the house here. The pergola was completed when I got home and I love it. Our architect is now designing a combination dog run, potting shed and green house and the landscaper came this week and is putting together a plan for the whole property that will probably take years.

This will be the first Christmas at the Ranchito. For that matter, it will be the first Christmas in about 20 years, that I’ll spend in my home, not traveling to someone else’s home. I’m really looking forward to the event. Rodrigo’s cousins are coming from Mexico City, with their 3 year old, Karla with Enya, who will be one year old in January, and our orphan friends (those who don’t have any family in the area). We should be about 12 for dinner on Christmas Eve and on Christmas day I’m planning an open house and inviting about 100 people. I’ve been avoiding the subject of New Year’s Eve because Rodrigo wants us to go to Mexico City and spend it with his family (which is huge). I’m not sure that I’m ready for that. I know that my Spanish is not.

Our latest bit of good news is that Rodrigo was approved for a tourist visa to travel in the U.S. So we hope to see everyone next year, on a trip when we can be tourists and I don’t have to worry about home repairs and such. His only experience in the U.S. was Michigan State University during a veterinary exchange program. I’m excited at the prospect of showing him California.

So to you and yours, wishing you very happy holidays from colonial Mexico and the herd here at the Ranchito:

Charles and Rodrigo, and of course, Tisha, Cosette, Hagrid, Evita, Fantine, Phoebe and Fazhou.

No comments: